Thursday 23 January 2014

What is a bioinformatician?

What is a bioinformatician?

I’ve been participating in an interesting conversation on linkedin, which has re-opened the age old question of what is a bioinformatician, which was inspired by a conversation on twitter, that was later blogged.  Hopefully I’ve gotten that chain down correctly.
In any case, it appears that there are two competing schools of thought.  One is that bioinformatician is a distinct entity, and the other is that it’s a vague term that embraces anyone and anything that has to do with either biology or computer science.  Frankly, I feel the second definition is a waste of a perfectly good word, despite being a commonly accepted method.
That leads me to the following two illustrations. How bioinformatics is often used, and I would argue that it’s being used incorrectly:

No comments:

Post a Comment